When Where How to Buy
Sooner or later just about everything goes on sale. Knowing when items are at their lowest prices and buying them before you need them is a shopping technique that can save you hundreds of dollars every year on all kinds of items from groceries to gifts! This is the “When Where How” to buy things so that you get the most for your money.
August signals the end of summer (which means summer clearance sales galore), back to school, Labor Day weekend sales, tax-free holidays…so many deals! Manufacturers release tons of coupons this time of year, and there are lots of in-season fruits and veggies to choose from. August is HOT for savings!
Best Things To Buy In August:
From the Grocery Stores
- Breakfast – The most important meal of the day will be a little cheaper this month. Frozen waffles, bagels, cold cereal, oatmeal, juices and more will be on sale this month.
- Lunchbox Items – Stores will have all things lunch-sized on sale this month with coupons to match. Look for low prices on lunch-meats, boxed/pouch juices, yogurt, snack size chips and crackers, peanut butter, and more.
- Sunscreen – You’ll see great deals on sunscreen continuing from last month. Keep any and all sunscreen coupons handy and check the clearance sections in stores now.
In Season Produce
The cheapest produce in stores and at local farmer’s markets is always what’s in season. Here’s a list of in-season fruits and veggies for August:
- Berries (blueberries, strawberries)
- Peppers (Chile and Sweet)
- Summer Squash
School and Office Supplies
Back to School sales are in full swing this month. You’ll see folders, paper, pencils, pens and more for $1 or less (and sometimes as low as one cent each)! Buy only what’s on sale every week, and you’ll be able to stock up on school and office supplies for the whole year!
August brings the lowest prices on swimwear of the season. If you’ve been holding out for the best price on a new swim suit, now’s the time to buy.
Many states offer a special Tax Free Holiday to help offset some of the costs of going back to school. Only a few states have zero sales tax, the rest of us will bask in this relief. It is typically the first weekend of August, but each state chooses their specific dates. Check out the most recent information for Tax Free Shopping.
Sandals & Summer Clothing
It’s time to shop for clothes! You’ll find great deals on summer clothing and sandals right now. Remember tank tops are great for layering year round (especially here in Florida). Stock up now, and even buy a size larger for the kids for next year.
Need new outdoor furniture? Wait no longer! Replace those tired, faded cushions or get an entire new set of patio furniture, loungers or patio decor of any kind. Sales are on now!
Tell Dad it’s time…it’s time to buy a new grill. No matter what size or style of grill you’re looking for, you should have lots to choose from right now.
Dorm Stuff: Linens, Small Kitchen Appliances, Storage Containers
Have a child going off to college? Then you can bet if it’s something a college kid is going to need, it’s likely on sale right now. Shop now for the best selection and low prices. (Next month will have even lower prices, but you won’t have much of a selection.)
What NOT To Buy in August:
Here are a few of the items you’ll want to purchase another time:
- Apple Devices – Have your eye on a new iPhone? Hold out till September or October when Apple typically releases new models. You could save hundreds on the current model when the new ones come out!
- New Cars – Wait one more month if you’re in the market for a new car. Next year’s models will start arriving in September causing current year prices will drop.
~ Happy August Bargain Shopping!