~ Meals from Our Deals ~
The ingredients from this week’s recipe are currently on sale at Winn Dixie!
See the complete Winn Dixie Weekly ad HERE.
This week’s recipe adds some spice to your typical chicken stew with the addition of crushed red pepper and chorizo. It also uses garbanzo beans instead of navy or kidney beans. Grab some Entenmann’s Pound Cake while you’re doing your shopping and have a tasty, easy dessert!
Spanish-Style Chicken Stew
Prep Time: 35 Min
Cook Time: 45 Min
Ready In: 1 Hr 20 Min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red onions, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 potato, cubed
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 ounces Spanish chorizo sausage, casing removed, sliced 1/4-inch thick (see note)
NOTE: Be sure to buy Spanish chorizo, not Mexican. Spanish chorizo has been smoked and comes ready to eat like kielbasa; whereas Mexican chorizo is raw and resembles Italian sausage.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and garlic, cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent. Pour in tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and water; season with paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir in carrots and potatoes, then place chicken thighs skin-side up on top of the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Remove chicken from the stew and set aside. Stir in the chorizo slices, then pour the stew into a glass baking dish. Place the chicken thighs on top, skin-side up.
- Bake in preheated oven until the stew has thickened and the chicken skin is crispy, about 15 minutes.
Sale items from the Winn Dixie list included in the recipe:
Sanderson Farms Family Pack Chicken Thighs, Drumsticks or Leg Quarters, $.99/lb (Limit 3 Bags)
Russet Potatoes 5 lb bag, 2/$5 ($2.50 each)
WD Baby Cut Carrots 1 lb bag, 2/$3 ($1.50 each)
Entenmann’s Pound Cake All Butter, Lemon or Chocolate Loaf 12 oz, BOGO $4.49 ($2.25 each)
If you have a favorite recipe that matches with a weekly sale or includes items you typically have in your stockpile, please submit your recipe to Save@TrueCouponing.com with “Recipe” in the subject line.
Your recipe could be featured on True Couponing as our Recipe of the Week!